GENERAL OBJECTIVES FOR PRIMARY:
The Primary years provide the important foundation of skills and attitudes that prepare pupils for further learning and productive, fulfilling lives. Pupils are encouraged to approach learning with contemplation and courage, creating a sense of confidence that raises personal expectations and the setting of achievable yet higher goals.
The school’s curriculum follows the National Curriculum for England and Wales in those subjects taught in English and meets the Spanish Ministry of Education requirements for Spanish language and culture.
According to National Curriculum guidelines, the school offers a balanced and broadly based curriculum which:
- Prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life;
- Promotes the moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society.
The National Curriculum provides pupils with an introduction to the core knowledge they need to be educated citizens. It helps engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement. The programme is just one element in the education of every child and the school goes beyond the specifications to offer exciting and stimulating experiences.
Within that framework, pupils will develop and demonstrate:
- Reading, writing and speaking skills in English and Spanish for the expression of information, ideas, opinions and enjoyment.
- Mathematical concepts, computations and problem solving.
- Basic scientific methods and their application to daily living.
- Awareness of the historical process, its progress and relevance.
- Appreciation of the natural and social environment.
- Intellectual curiosity and critical thinking.
- Responsibility and independence in the learning process and social interaction.
- Cultural awareness and appreciation for diversity.
- Health, safety and physical fitness.
- Appreciation and enjoyment of the arts.
- The use of information technology.
- A positive attitude towards democratic values.
- Maturity and dignity; establishing well-balanced and positive relationships with others in social situations; and respecting differences of social class, sex, and opinion.
CURRICULUM - WEEKLY SUBJECT HOURS:
Pupils spend approximately 80% of their day learning in English and the remaining 20% learning in Spanish throughout Early Years and Primary.
|SUBJECTS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|PSE (Assembly, Tutorial)||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|SUBJECTS TAUGHT IN SPANISH||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|Conocimiento del medio/Inmersión||0||2||2||2||2||2
Academic objectives for each subject are available at the School Office.